Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Stone's Throw


Triptych 15"x5" total (each is 5"x5") mixed media and acrylic on canvas

Still experimenting with mediums for creating texture, I mixed super heavy gesso with spackle. And I used a pretty cool looking rock for inspiration. It was about two inches in diameter and had the blue-green and rusty colors with white in it. The piece in the middle of this triptych had a little more spackle than gesso in the mix. I liked the texture for the way the marks turned out and the graininess, but if I had to rub the surface for manipulating the paint or bringing back the light in the composition, then the texture would also be compromised. It was a much more protected surface with more gesso in the mix--which the bottom canvas has. But in that one, the paint was accepted onto the surface differently: more spackle, more paint absorption and a more stone texture, too. I'm curious about the longevity of the mixed medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment