Saturday, February 23, 2019

At the Cave Ruins


(no longer in inventory)

12"x12" acrylic on canvas 

I am experimenting with acrylic mediums for creating textures. Since expense is an issue, I'm trying to decide, after the success of The World Split Open, if I should continue to use thickly applied gesso as my base for deep mark-making or if I should continue to use my gel/spackling mixture. Since I'm nearly out of both, I'm trying to decide whether to buy a gallon of gesso or a gallon of gel. And then, I discovered Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso--Yay. One more variable added into the decision-making mix. 
So I've used the super heavy gesso for the textural foundation in this piece. Mark-making in this medium sometimes created thin ridges that reminded me somewhat of a putty-like texture. Painting with washes was fine on this. I also found that I could scrub paint off of the top surface using my fake chamois. As a result, I found myself wondering if maybe I would purchase a gallon of the super heavy gesso.

No comments:

Post a Comment