Saturday, February 23, 2019

Per Hypatia


24"x18" acrylic on canvas

Still playing with texture-making mediums, I used a thin layer of super heavy gesso spread onto this painting. I made the upper two-thirds of the painting a smoother layer of the heavy gesso. I made text-like marks using the wooden end of a paintbrush in the bottom third of the painting. I'm wanting to determine if I like this surface for asemic marks. It was smooth writing, and I was able to bring up the light when I needed.

For this painting, I was also working with the ideas of squares and circles--not really squaring the circle, but something like that--this led me on a search into mathematical grand questions, which led me to Hypatia, philosopher, mathematician, astronomer, teacher, writer, murder victim. I wanted the upper image to represent motion, erosion, flow of the internal, and circular motion of the eternal. I used polystyrene packing shapes to stamp the gold parts and the black outlines. The use of gold gesso and quinacridone nickel/azo gold trick the camera so that it's a challenge to get a good representation. This was a fun painting to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment